The IDB Group is organizing its 40th Annual Board of Governors Meeting in Maputo, Mozambique, from June 8 to 11, 2015. In conjunction with this important event, the IDB Group and in joint collaboration with the African Union Commission, the Confederation of Business Associations of Mozambique and Mozambique Investment Promotion Centre will organize an “IDB Group-AUC Joint Private Sector Forum” on June 8th, 2015 in Maputo, Mozambique.
The main objective of this event is to discuss the engagement of the private sector in the development and growth of IDB member countries, mainly in Africa. The forum will also provide an opportunity for multilateral and regional development financial institutions to share with the audience, their knowledge and experience on their private sector projects in Africa and Mozambique. Also, taking advantage of the presence of this important multi-stakeholders gathering, IDB Group entities will present their products and services to support of the private sector development in Africa and the rest of the world.
Furthermore, the forum aims at reinforcing the position of Mozambique on the world investment map by highlighting profitable business opportunities readily available in the country. The forum will accordingly highlight the outstanding economic performance as well as the improved business environment in Mozambique and will showcase available investment opportunities and prospective business partnerships.
In addition, a dedicated session will be devoted to creating more and better jobs in Mozambique through “Let’s Work Partnership”. The partnership is an international one and among ICD, IFC and a number of other IFIs and donors aimed at finding ways and means of creating jobs in different countries of which Mozambique is one. The session will mainly focus on presenting the initial findings of Mozambique job study.
During this event, the winners of the recent IDB Group business plan competition will also be given the opportunity to provide an update on the implementation of their business plans. The winners from both idea track and growth track will present the key milestones they achieved, challenges they faced, and their next steps.
This year’s forum is coincided with 15th anniversary of ICD. On this occasion, ICD will showcase its history of achievements throughout the venue of the event.
The event will gather a diversified group of around 100 to 120 participants with the following backgrounds:
• Government officials
• Project promoters
• Business leaders from multinational organizations
• High ranking inter-region policy makers in Mozambique and the East Africa region.
• Private sector representatives
• Individual investors
• Chairmen, Presidents & CEOs from the following sectors:
o Real Estate Companies
IDB Group – AUC Joint Private Sector Forum will be a privileged place for networking which will give a new start of partnership in the region. This networking lunch will bring together all participants attending the Forum in a more informal setting to find ways in which they can work together. The lunch provides an opportunity for the various participants to exchange views on their respective businesses.
Expected Outcome of the Forum
The following are the expected outcomes of the Forum:
• A better knowledge of the African private sector actors on the different products and services provided by the IDB Group entities.
• Creation of awareness about the investment and business opportunities in Africa and especially in Mozambique.
• Introducing the latest IDB Group latest initiatives for the private sector.
• African Private Sector is informed about the African Union Commission’s Private Sector Strategy.
• Awareness of IFIs on the challenge of creating jobs for Mozambique.
• Coming up with a joint declaration on the recommended actions which might be considered in the near future.